Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The power of a notebook


Today I bought my first Moleskine. Actually I bought 5. The first, a Squared Notebook. Basically a cute lil notebook, with leather bindings and graph paper. The second, a Music Notebook (no telling what musical magic I'll scribe on it's tiny little staffs.) Same bindings, plus staff paper. Very useful. Numbers 3 - 5 were a set of small Lined Journals. It was a 3 pack. I gave all three of them away. Moleskines have been used by the likes of Tom Hanks in the DaVinci Code, Van Gogh, Picasso, Hemingway and even Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Remember the scene where we was in the map room scribbling down coordinates after placing the jewel in the right slot so that the location of the Ark was given to him.

"They're digging in the wrong place!"

These things just make you feel powerful. I mean as I jot down the IP addresses from various clients and whatnot, including a grocery list, I am reminded that Ernest Hemingway could've written things like "About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after." or "All our words from loose using have lost their edge." or "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." in his Moleskine notebook.

In this world of text messaging, word processing, chatting, PDA..ing and the like, it's a tad bit refreshing for me to slow down enough to write. With a pen. On actual paper. Sometimes slow is good. Today, slow seems real good.

With this in mind, my penmanship gets a little clearer, I think of better ways to write, "Pick up milk" and I ponder the chances of some futuristic archaeologist jumping for joy when he uncovers my long forgotten little notebook full of IP addresses and Honey-Dos.

Hey, I think I'll write that line down. Typing is just so much damned easier.

No comments: